Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Renaissance Faire, a Pirate Invasion














I just want to say that this blog took an incredibly longtime to put together. Why? Because learning how to use an Apple is like moving to a foreign country and not knowing how to speak the language. I know that's might sound ridiculous to some, but like I have said before, I have zero patience.
So, after having the geeks at Apple perform a data transfer and then spending the whole day yesterday trying to figure out how to get my pictures onto this blog, I kind of know what I'm doing now...kind of. 
Some of these pictures are out of order, but if I spend one more minute on this blog, I am going to throw this computer out the window. This is as good as its going to get for right now. 

Yay, now lets talk about something fun! =-D

My family and I went to the Northern California Renaissance Faire in Hollister CA (which is a very scenic and beautiful place to visit). The faire runs for about a month, and they have "Theme Weekends"... so naturally...I chose the "Pirate Invasion" weekend. 

I have never been to a renaissance faire before. Well, I have never been to one that is THIS serious. You know what mean...where the people are in character ALL THE TIME!..no matter what.
 I had some people try to have a conversation with me in ye ole timer talk and I was like, "I'm going to need some subtitles here or something, because I don't know what you just said. I just want to know where the smoke turkey legs are." 

I am telling you though, these people went all out for this thing. I was really impressed by the costumes and the food and the shops. Attention was paid to every detail and they were committed to playing their parts. It was good times! 

Here are some pictures from that day...











Isn't that picture above amazing!? You all are going to get sick of me saying this but...I still can't get over looking out into the distance and seeing these mountains...they look like postcards. 




I love this ladies face...she's giving me the stank eye. I had to get a picture of those two kids cause they are extra super cute in their costumes.
I think that was the best part of this whole thing...all the kids dressed up in their adorable costumes and getting into character.





They had a petting zoo with the loudest pig I have ever heard. It sounded like a baby crying




While I was editing photos, I noticed that I got a good shot of this guys shirt...


But look at these kids! They're so darn cute!






There were a lot of stages set up all over the faire. They had people singing, puppet shows, and plays going on 24/7


A man playing the bagpipes...


I just thought this thing looked cool...




They had some kind of a magic show there...at least I think it was a magic show. I just found it amusing that there were pirates standing around watching this and giggling like little girls.







Oh snap! She's giving me a stank eye too! I just wanted to get a picture of this one shop because it was my favorite out of all the shops there.



Ummm...does Disney know about this?



The name of this shop is fantastic...so good work there...





Yayyyy food!!!! You see my little arrow? Yeah, that guy had a ship's wheel hanging from his belt. 






Gypsies!



The two pictures above are of the Queen (sitting to the left) and everyone else was ye ole dancing or ye ole drinking...





This guy is making glass figurines. There is a picture below of what he was making...its the picture with the glass mushrooms.



This guy was having an intense conversation with the fortune teller....

I love this dude! He had his electric wheelchair made to look like he was riding a horse! It. Was. Amazing. He is my favorite person...ever...








The two pictures above are of some beautiful handmade masks. . 



Brooms. Ooooooooo! No that isn't a guy talking on his cell phone! Yes it is!!! That shit ain't kosher with me! No breaking character!



Here we go! This guy looked just like Capt'n Jack Sparrow...accept that his name was Capt'n Jack Spareribs....which is even better...
See! Jack Spareribs! Ha!







 Not only does Mr. Spareribs perfom puppet shows...he juggles...witknives...talent...



This right here is exactly what it looks like...Jenga!...only its extra large and I think if you make it fall you're declared a witch and beheaded...or something like that. 



Check this out! That Knight has skills! He's getting sweet with this wench...own it!





My boys =-)





There is some more stank eye coming my way! (off to the left there)

 I guess if I was a women back then, I would be giving the stank eye a lot too. I mean, you don't have any rights, childbirth will most likely kill you (If explosive diarrhea doesn't), and getting Irish beauties are your only means of eyeshadow (Irish beauties are two black eyes...in case you weren't up to date on your domestic violence lingo) 



These fruit freezes were delicious!  I love how they were served in the rhines of fruit!


Oh hey...there is Mark shopping...


I found it kind of odd that they had a massage tent there...out in the open...were everyone can watch you... get massaged




Look at the name of that beverage stand...HA!







You're reading it right..."Pet a Dragon" and "Stroke a Serpent"....only 3 dollars?! That's not really a deal, considering that during the Renaissance period, 3 dollars is like a trillion dollars...actually, its probably more like 4 chickens and the use of your wife for a night.


Now, I couldn't get a pirate costume here in time so Knox could wear it to the faire...so I got him one for next year...


Ahhhh haaaa! Did someone order another stank eye? I didddddd!





Puppet show!








Now, to make a little detour...a surprise detour. Like I said, these are pictures out of order.  We actually visited this place before we got to the Renaissance Faire. 

 Now, there's no secret here...I love food! I watch the The Travel Channel religiously. Along with the many shows they have about haunted places to visit, I  also enjoy watching their shows on popular places to eat in America. So, when I found out that I was moving to California, I took a closer look at some old episodes and put this place on my list of places to eat in California. 

"Pea Soup Andersen's"...famous forrrrrr?...their pea soup. Now, I wasn't expecting to come across this place on our drive to the renaissance faire...but I did..and even though we didn't have time to eat there (because with a baby, you are on a tight schedule) I had to go see it and at least get some pictures of the place. 






Not to sound like a complete loser, but seeing this sign up close was kind of a awesome...I might have shed a tear or two...















Hello my little walker <3

Of course we had to get a picture of their famous sign...






Okay, detour over...back to the faire







I don't like new age sewing machines, much less old fashion ones...but watching these ladies use the spinning wheels to make stuff was kind of cool...




Crossbow range? Yeah, where you can apparently shoot at a live person...what fun!












That is a swing I would love to have in my backyard!




Oh snap! Knight's getting all up in your face! I thought this was going to turn into "You Got Served: Renaissance Style"



Sooooooo here you can throw sharp sticks at shit. Also, there was a place where you could throw axes. I am guessing that back then...people liked to throw sharp objects at a target...whether that target was alive or not.





I'm guessing these are the dragons and serpents you'll be petting for 3 dollars...








This was a wash area where the women where washing clothes and junk....




Here you go...the glass mushrooms...


They also had jousting at the faire. Let me just say that Medieval Times is stupid compared to this. I have a video of it that ill be putting on another blog...that way you'll be able to see what I'm talking about. 








And of course, I'm going to end everything with my favorite picture...the Ye Ole ATM machine (I bet that knee slapper was totally worn out that day). The thing that made me laugh was watching a pirate withdraw money form the ATM...it just looked silly.

I'm sure you noticed that I didn't say much about how Knox liked the faire. Well, that's because he didn't really seem phased by it. He just liked the fact that he could walk around in the dirt and that funny talking people thought he was cute.


Ill be putting up a couple videos next....

No comments:

Post a Comment