Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Weekend ( Gold Rush Days)

So here it is!!! Sacramento's 12th annual Gold Rush Days!

Now when most people think of the state of California they think movies, rehab facilities, and people being famous for being famous. However, when I think of California I think of what I have either learned at school, or read in books. I think of the gold rush, cowboy adventures, and people moving there with the hopeful anticipation of better life. I think of people saying things like "Y'all" and "Young'uns" ...and visiting your local saloon everyday didn't make you a alcoholic, it was how you beat the heat.
I have to say that I am fascinated with the life of a pioneer. In fact, if you took away the short life expectancy, famine, and disease...I would have loved to have lived back in those days.

 Since my family is still new to Sacramento, I thought it would be a great idea to take Knox to see all the festivities...and it was great! He saw his first horse, his first cowboy, his first Native American Dance, and his first gun fight! ( I enjoy a good gun fight when it is in a controlled environment)

I'm not use to living in a place where the community gets together to celebrate so many events. I think this has become one of my favorite things about the small city of Sacramento...the intimacy of the community.




Here are some photos from our day...



 I wanted to put this picture first cause the school house is my favorite thing in Old Sacramento. I wish schools still looked like this. Seriously, if I were to ever open a daycare, I would make it look like an old fashion school house.



 When we were walking into the festival a train was leaving...Knox was NOT interested...








 Awwwwwwww...



 Knox wasn't really impressed with the giant horse standing in front of him...




 But as for this stuffed llama?...he was very impressive...




 Ha! Paddy wagon....




 Seriously, how cool is that guys outfit!?



 Adorable puppet show for kids...




 Now, you'll notice some arrows on my pictures. Well, this is what I like to call "That Should Not Be There" because if it weren't there, then I might believe I had gotten into my DeLorean and gone back to the 1800's








 Two ladies just having themselves a little carriage chat...










 How amazing is this ladies outfit!?









We saw a sweettttttt gun fight...



 Water bottle, digital camera, and a fire extinguisher....



 That one guys cowboy outfit was serious business. I was like "OMG! Is that Kurt Russel?!"
That was a "Tombstone" reference for all you peoples that have never seen that movie.

P.S. you suck...watch that movie.
















 Its a gambling tent


The back of the gambling tent





 Then we went to go watch some Native American Dances...it was awesome!



 I dressed for the occasion...






Ahhhhh! =D



 A dance called "The Snake"...its kind of like follow the leader...









2 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures! And your son is adorable. I was a part of Gold Rush Days and I have a son who is almost 3 years old. Hope you don't mind I began "following" your blog. :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks! So you were apart of the gold rush days!? That's super exciting! What did you do?!

    ReplyDelete