Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Swamp People, do-rags, Mr.Pumpkin Head, some sentimental stuff, and other Halloween fun!

I am going to start this blog off with some of the mushy stuff....

I am an artistic person by nature. I have drawn/painted ever since I can remember. But I can only create if something inspires me. I have to feel that spark that pushes me to be creative. The older I got, the less I felt that "push" of creativity. Ever since Knox has come into my life, I find that part of me has been awakened.  I love creating things for him and I love making everything in his life a little more special. I don't want to give him something I can go buy at a store. I want the things he has to be unique and specially made by me. 

It reminds me of all the Halloween costumes my mom made for me when I was a kid. My mom can sew a costume together in five minutes. I would go with my mom to Jo-ann Fabrics, take one look at those pattern packets you have to buy for a costume, and be like "WTF!"...it was like reading another language. It amazed me that all I had to do was tell my mom what I wanted to be for Halloween and BOOM!...........there it was. She made me some amazing costumes over the years....I have no idea how she did it...but ...she did it. I remember one year, she made me a witch costume, and I won fourth place in a costume contest. Fourth place may not sound like a big deal to some people, but its a big deal to me. I never win anything...EVER!

Enough of this mushy chit chat!


This time last year, I had just moved from Las Vegas to Sacramento. I had a fresh C-section (that visual is my gift to you) and a 17 day old baby. There was A LOT going on and it was all going on at once. I wasn't able to enjoy any of the Fall activities I normally do....If you haven't heard already, Halloween is my thing! I will normally watch horror movies and visit haunted houses till I have scared myself stupid. Not last year! All I was trying to do last year was survive the horror of being a new parent, while trying to learn my way around new city. Carving a pumpkin was not on my list of things to do. 

Not this year! This years Halloween was much more exciting. My Knoxville wasn't a tiny baby blob anymore. This year, my little toddler was all dressed up and ready for some trick-or-treating! 


Lets start this off with Halloween Eve...

Here are some pictures of Knox helping daddy out with the pumpkin carving....even though theres no carving involved in the way we decided to do it...



What a little helper =)



 













Even Boo Bear was interested...




The finished product! Haha! It's so silly looking!!! I mean, pumpkins don't wear shoes!!!...that's nonsense.

 My sister got these "Mr. Pumpkin Head" pieces for us and I LOVED it! She obviously knows me VERY well. This made the "pumpkin carving" process short and with no mess for me to clean up ( I clean up enough crap as it is). I'm definitely going to buy more of these things for next year.




But now for the moment you have all been waiting for!!!!!

*drum roll*

Look!!! It's mini Bruce Mitchell from 'Swamp People'!!!! =D



Now, a few things. Knox wouldn't wear the wig I got and I couldn't find any fake Crocs (when I would find some they didn't have his size).  We were able to get him to keep the do-rag on for the entire night. As for shoes, I had him wear his new black Toms. It was a little chilly outside so, I had to put a shirt on him (FYI Bruce Mitchell does not wear a shirt under his overalls).


Also, there was some "damage" to the gator boat. A one year old is more dangerous than an alligator...that is a fact. It's their job to destroy things...and they take their job seriously...





Knox goes up to his first house! =D



Chairs are more interesting than candy...



 Even with the distraction of a super awesome chair, we were able to knock on the door and get the candy in the bag. Accomplished! On to the next House!







On our walk around the block, we had three people who knew exactly who Knox was suppose to be!!! That's three more than I thought there would be. I was really happy about this because I worked super hard  to make Knox's costume as accurate as possible (Hello! Look at that do-rag!). One lady got super excited and asked if she could take a picture of him in his costume. 





I decided to let Knox have a lollipop for all his hard work ( I rarely ever let him have any sugar). He definitely enjoyed his delicious treat. =)



I think our first Halloween went really well. I know Knox had no idea why we were making him knock on all these doors, but he seem to have a good time. I'll label his first Halloween as successful =)


1 comment:

  1. Heather I just found these pictures on line. thought that boy looked familiar. How come i never seen these. LOL, David Mitchell, Facebook

    ReplyDelete