Thursday, December 15, 2011

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go pack my life into a suitcase






I don't think it matters if you have a boyfriend or a husband, if you are a girl, and you're packing to go on a trip together, more than likely your significant other has uttered these words, "Why do you need so many bags?! We'll only gone for __ days!"
In my husbands eyes, I am a chronic over-packer. You know what? Now that I think about it "over-packer" is such an ugly label. I like to call myself a "thoroughly prepared-packer." I'm kind of like a packing Superhero. When my husband forgets to bring something, BOOM! There are I am! Saving the day with an extra one of whatever my husband needed!  Impromptu family dinner at a fancy restaurant? No problem, because I packed 3 different dressy outfits, just in case this were to happen! Unexpected cold snap? No worries, because I brought 4 different cardigans that will go with my outfit!

Of course we TPP's (thoroughly prepared-packers) have a method to our madness. I don't think I speak for myself when I say that my fellow TPP's have this shit down to a science. 

This is my scientific equation for packing... 

  1. I bring out the rolling rack! That's right, I have a rolling rack. I'm sure I'm not alone on this one, right fellow TPP's?  How can I be expected to make outfits when my closets (yes, I said closets!) are jam-packed with clothes?!  Using a rolling rack helps me separate the clothes I WANT to bring, from the other junk in my closet. Now that I have all the clothes I want clearly visible, my first draft of outfits can be made. =)




See, look at that! I've even got purses for outfit changes. It's important to add accessorizing into this packing ritual.


         2. Then, I separate everything into categories; pants, skirts, casual T-shirts, sleeveless T's...you         get the idea. 










      3. Then I think to yourself "What is this trip for?"..."Am I going to visit friends or family?"..."Is it a holiday?" In my case it's visiting family for Christmas, which means pictures, dinners, church, etc.  So, I have chosen some more festive dressy outfits (comfy enough to withstand long periods of sitting and listing to family members boring conversations about nonsense...I say that with love)




Christmas colors! =D




Reindeer! 
    

4. Then there is the weather! Something that can never predicted, but something a TPP always plans for.
Like the deer sweater above, while stylishly festive, might be too hot to wear for a Christmas trip to Florida (boo, lame for being hot humidity). Of course, I will bring the sweater anyways. Hey, you never know what might happen...it could snow =)
Then I think "Well, what if it's only a little chilly?" That's where my sleeveless blouses and cardigans come in. Since there are a seemingly endless number of color combinations with the sleeveless blouse/cardigans, this will probably take up most of my suitcase. 




    5. This might be where my OCD starts to kick in, so if you don't relate beyond this point...that's okay =)
Now I like to take a step back and see what colors and shapes my rolling rack consists of. I know that sounds a little crazy, but just stay with me for a second. What I mean is that when I take a look at the big picture I can see if I'm bringing too much or too little of something. I ask myself, "Did I pick out too many black dresses?" Cause if I did then maybe I'll bring a couple other color dresses. 

The example here would be that I think I picked out too many stripped clothes.






        6. Now, I need to make out the actual outfits! I think of all the things we are planing to do on this vacation and I start to make my outfits from there.
Yes, I take pictures of the outfits. I also pack a back-up item for each outfit. Like the outfit to the right, I have a dark green cardigan as my back-up cardigan, in case the yellow cardigan doesn't work out.


Done!

P.S. Don't feel bad when your husband gets pissed because your bags won't fit in the rental car, he clearly should have PLANNED on renting a bigger one!



No comments:

Post a Comment